Monday, October 19, 2009

Word for the Week-10/12-18


You know this whole Word of the Week thing is really making me stop and take a long look at how I spend my time. I notice myself trying to pick a word by Wednesday...I'll think of 5 or more that have described my week so far. By Friday I'm panicking a bit as I can't decide which word to choose or because my week has taken a drastic turn and what I thought would work Wednesday is so not gonna work by Friday. Then Sunday night, as I'm looking over my planner, checking out all the "To-Do's" for the coming week a word will just pop up and I think to myself..."That's perfect!"

My word from last week is

TRANSITION


tran⋅si⋅tion
  /trænˈzɪʃən, -ˈsɪʃ-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [tran-zish-uhn, -sish-] Show IPA
Use transition in a Sentence
See web results for transition
See images of transition
–noun
1. movement, passage, or change from one position, state, stage, subject, concept, etc., to another; change: the transition from adolescence to adulthood.
2. Music.
a. a passing from one key to another; modulation.
b. a brief modulation; a modulation used in passing.
c. a sudden, unprepared modulation.
3. a passage from one scene to another by sound effects, music, etc., as in a television program, theatrical production, or the like.
–verb (used without object)
4. to make a transition: He had difficulty transitioning from enlisted man to officer.
Origin:
1545–55; < L trānsitiōn- (s. of trānsitiō) a going across, equiv. to trānsit(us) (ptp. of transīre to cross; cf. transit ) + -iōn- -ion

Related forms:
tran⋅si⋅tion⋅al, tran⋅si⋅tion⋅a⋅ry  /trænˈzɪʃəˌnɛri, -ˈsɪʃ-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [tran-zish-uh-ner-ee, -sish-] Show IPA , adjective
tran⋅si⋅tion⋅al⋅ly, adverb

Synonyms:
1. changeover, passing, conversion.
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.
Cite This Source
|

I am in the middle of starting a new business, changing my diet by clean eating, exercising more and trying to learn how to accept the fact that my kids are growing up. It's all good stuff but overwhelming for me most days. Top this off with the fact we are helping 2 very dear families start business's and one is living with us on weekends...I'm a bit frazzled. When I'm feeling this way I tend to go into "Mean mode"...not nice to anyone. Since that is just not the way I want to be I'm giving it my all to change the way I look at these changes and am trying to make the most of them. The word TRANSITION just seems to fit.

It's funny because as I got to really thinking about all these words I kept hoping for words like "bliss", "charming", "peaceful" or "spiritual" to describe my week. Maybe in the future...but not at the moment!!

Okay, so for now here are my words from the past 3 weeks...

BEGINNING
EXHAUSTING
TRANSITION


It seems like I'm that homely caterpillar, growing and changing to become a butterfly. That's what I'm hoping for...we'll just have to wait and see.

What's your word for the week? Let us know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!